Monday, May 3, 2010

Brrr - trying to be a tourist

It is a long weekend here so I have been doing tourist stuff - or trying to, the weather hasn't been to kind.

Yesterday I went up to Royal Tumbridge Wells - a place where the London ladies used to go to 'take the waters'. I had a little drink from the well (50p), it tasted of iron - it's full of iron and other minerals. The fashion was to spend 6 weeks there. I guess 6 weeks of R&R would cure many ills.

The weather was pretty horrid, my car said it was 6C and it was raining. By about 3 I had wandered the town and gardens (nice gardens), got wet, dry again in the shopping center, and wet again. I had thought to go visit a stately home and gardens, there are lots around that area, however it didn't seem so appealing in the rain. I drove back to Brighton.

Gem and Jean invited me for dinner at their home. Had a lovely dinner and long chat till rather late.

Today it was till cold, but only showers. I had planned to go to Arundel and then Chichester - I only made it to Arundel. It is the seat of the Duke of Norfolk. A 'real' castle and supporting little town. The castle has an old Norman Castle within and various wings that were built at different times. The oldest part is about 1000 years old. The family still live there and I think were in residence. There are one of the powerful (rich) old families. It was really interesting but did make me feel like turning socialist. It made me think again about some of the reasons our great-grandparents had for leaving the UK.

The walled garden was beautiful - really nice layout and proportions. Someone must like tulips, they were everywhere.

Back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment