Saturday, May 1, 2010

North East of Brighton




Today I did a wee road trip up the coast northwards. First stop was the seven sisters - seven ridges that run down to the cliff. I walked 4 or 5 of them. It was rather chilly and windy, but the hills warmed me up.

What was kinda spooky was the abrupt edge, no fence, just a 100 ft or 2 down to the gravel.

Then I went on to Hastings, which is another seaside town. I had a wander round and had lunch. I then headed inland to Battle.

Battle is where the Battle of Hastings took place. What was the Battle of Hastings? It was THE battle in 1066 when William the Conqueror beat the Anglo-Saxon king and the Normans overtook England. About 6000 men died in the field in the picture - must have been some battle. William built a Abbey on the site a few years later (as penance apparently - or could have just been to rub it in - who knows). When Henry 8th split with the pope he gave it to one of his followers who promptly demolished the Abbey but lived in the rest of the place.

There is a little village at Battle, that grew up to support the Abbey. Some of the buildings date from that time - wobbly windowsills and roofs, but then they are rather old. I wandered along and brought a pork chop for my dinner from the local butcher, the pig was from their farm 1 mile from the village. That's buying local.

No comments:

Post a Comment