Sunday, May 9, 2010

A day in London

Yesterday I went to up to London to see the Royal Ballet. The weather didn't look that good so I didn't leave Brighton till after lunch. I did a whirlwind tour of the 'best monopoly streets' - Park Lane, Oxford St, Regent St, Piccadilly Circus, - managed to buy a couple of pairs of shoes on the way. All the clothes were summer stuff, they don't look very appealing when its 10C.

I then wandered down to Trafalgar Sq where there were lots of groups of Morrismen performing - there is always something interesting going on. It was rather cool standing around so I visited my favourite Constable paintings in the National Gallery (right on Trafalgar sq) and wandered through the impressionists section. Then over to Covent garden for a bite to eat before the ballet.

The ballet was three modern pieces - all really enjoyable. It is interesting to see modern ballet from a classical perspective, we don't get much like that. The opera house is, of course, fabulous - the curtains had the most amazing embroider E R II on the corners. Afterwards it was a brisk walk to the underground station (200-300m), underground to Victoria Station and then train to Brighton. Taxi from the station home. I was home in just over an hour! Reading a tourist brochure on the way home I found there is a quilt exhibition on at the Victoria and Albert Musuem - apparently the first British quilt exhibition. I might just have to go back up during the week to see it.

This morning I slept in - didn't wake until after 9! In fact I have had a pretty lazy day. My one outing was down to the sports club for a swim. They have good wireless down there (no firewalls like the uni) so I did some work in the lounge and had dinner there.

No comments:

Post a Comment