Monday, May 17, 2010

Lab Visits today

Today was the day for visiting research labs. In the morning Paul Schmieder and I went to Patrick Baudisch's HCI lab at an institute on the northern side of Potsdam. We saw lots of cool interaction tools that this group are working on and I gave a talk on our work. Hopefully they understood some of my Kiwi English - Paul helped with translation a couple of times. We had lunch there and looked at a nice project with multi-line braille displays.

Paul and I then took the train to the absolute opposite side of Potsdam to Adam's lab. The first pic is his room - it is looking so clean and tidy because today was the annual cleaning day. We then went down to the basement to look at some of his slime. It looked various shades of bright green but the light was red, hence the funny colour in the photo. And we also up to the top floor to the slime factory. Its a pretty amazing setup - a building full of labs and equipment, liquid nitrogen tanks in the foyer of each floor.

Paul and I then went back past my hotel to pickup my bag and on into Berlin. It was great having a Paul as local guide to get here - much easier than reading subway maps and coping with the language etc, etc.

I am having a night off tonight in preparation for another couple of days of hard touristing!

No comments:

Post a Comment