Monday, June 25, 2012

Copenhagen!

Arrived in Copenhagen mid-afternoon yesterday. The airport, to hotel train, map reading etc went smoothly .... accept the handle strap broke on my nice new (admired) bag. The weather was grey, drizzly and cool, but I went for a wander up the streets to get my bearings and see if I could spot a cheap bag shop. No luck with the bag, and after a while the shops began to shut so I wandered back to the hotel and had a nap.
The days are longgggg here. I think it is only dark from about 11pm to 4am. I woke several times in the night and could tell it was somewhat light, but couldn't be bothered looking at my watch. All seemed quiet and I figured I would hear the traffic when it was 7-8am. I woke properly at 9am, perhaps I better set an alarm for tomorrow!
It was grey and drizzly again. After several work phone conversations, I saw blue sky and thought, right, I am outa here. Of course by time I had myself and a bike organized it was drizzling again. After some lunch, I set off again, ignoring the rather heavy shower. I biked the 'walking tour' circuit. Past the palace (where Aussie Mary lives no doubt), the little mermaid and various churches, to the summer palace, Rosenborg, which has been a museum for a few hundred years. I did a tour of this, it is rather a contrast to the French stuff, being a lot older and smaller - but very cool. It included the royal treasury, which was bit of a treat with lots of lovely extremely intricate ivory and jewels, crowns etc.
I then headed off the tourist path for a little foray into the burbs. Very dark clouds persuaded me it was time to turn around. I was a bit late, so got damp again on the way back to the hotel.
After the tourist insanity of Paris, Copenhagen is rather nice. The people are friendly, everyone speaks English and the city is of a more manageable size. There are lots of tourists, but the place isn't overrun like Paris was, where one had to queue to get into anything. And they have public toilets - seriously, we were forever searching for loos in Paris. Here, at most of the major points on the walking tour there was a public loo - one notices these things when one has had to search or sneak into cafes!
Conferencing for the next few days. Having not achieved my goal of finding a cheap bag, for once I am interested in what the conference bag is like :0

No comments:

Post a Comment